Thursday, October 11, 2007

Guys vs. Men; Dave Barry

I really enjoyed the humor of this article.
I have a hard time with generalizations, but its good to see a lighter side to them.

" One of the major characteristics of guyhood is that we guys don't spend a lot of time pomdering our deep innermost feelings." (pg 403, 3rd para.)
It's hilarious how he has nothing to back up his thesis, yet he somehow backs it up.

"I won't be able to stop myself, I'm a guy." (pg. 404, 4th para.)
Okay, this is honestly a generalization I do not like... it proves nothing, but when he says it I don't really take it as seriously as I would if someone said it and meant it because Barry is hilarious.

"She'll be sound asleep in bed, and suddenly, at 2 A.M. she'll be awakened by the urgent thought: The blue-green sofa needs to go perpendicular to the wall instead of parallel, and it needs to go there RIGHT NOW."
I have soOOOo done that before, but not with living room furniture. I would be a perfect example for his stereotype.

"These are middle aged guys, supposedly adults, and they're out there bragging about their performance in this stupid juvenile footrace. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore. "Hey!' I shouted. " I could beat 5.75 seconds."
HAHAHA, he used a sly approach to prove his point but i expected it. It reminds me of something Will Ferrell would say in Anchorman.

I also love the part where his "friend" calls "so he could express his concern. 'Just remember... you didn't beat me.'" Classic.

"Two women will have a conversation, lasting several days, during which they discuss virtually every significant event that has occurred in their lives and the lives of those they care about, sharing their innermost thoughts, analyzing and probing, inevitably coming to a deeper understanding of each other, and a strengthening of a cherished friendship" (pg. 409, para 6). I have to say that I also fall under that stereotype ...

I think it is also very cute how he explains the weekend when he and his good friend talked about a video game and how his friend said "he had even seen the Evil Presence, although he refused to tell me what it looks like. We're very close, but there is a limit. " I sense sarcasm in that statement, but at the same time I get this feeling that the guy is super serious. that guys actually thin that way, and I do not think that is true for most, but it's scary to realize that yeah, some are like that.

1 comment:

yooenoh said...

I really enjoyed the humor in this one too! It was the first and only article to make me laugh out loud! Of course he really stereotypes guys, I agree with you not all guys are like that. Sometimes girls act like that too, like me!