Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Shop like a Man: Underhill

Most of the guys I have shopped with me made me uncomfortable and rushed because something in me felt like I had to entertain them since there was really no reason for them to be in Forever 21, but I have also had at least two guy friends who enjoyed shopping with me and looking at clothes... and no they are not gay. But it's true that you feel uncomfortable with guys most of the time when you're a female in a women's only store.

"They're becoming a lot more like men in that regard." pg 187 He views men as know it alls, and people who take pride in what they know, because that is what he is saying in his quote that women are starting to resemble the men's attitudes when it comes to shopping; women own the shopping realm and take pride in it.

"They shop like they drive." pg 187 I thought that was funny, and yes i do think that is true for most, but not all men.


" A good argument for positioning fitting rooms nearer the men's department than the women's, if they are shared accomidations.... because if he has to search for it, he may decide it's not worth the trouble." pg. 188) From my experience, this does not prove to be accurate becasue my exboyfriends or guy friends have never tried clothes on, they know their size and they buy what they like. So I don't think they should be nearer the men's department, and I don't agree near the women's bras and panties section eighter.... because that's just uncomfortable for anyone when you are with the opposite sex... but they should have the dressing room in the middle.

"Throw a couple of kids in with Dad and you've got a lethal combination: he's notoriously bad at saying no when there's grocery acquisitioning to be done... It goes to the heart of the man's self-image." pg 189 I do agree that men have a harder time sticking to a list when they shop, and that dad's usually give into to kids plea for snicker's and bublicious, like my dad used to do, but I think it's ironic how the male feels almost obliged to give into the situation to make sure he is still seen as the provider.. that's an oxymoron right there.

"It allows him to feel in charge even when he isn't." Funny. Who cares about groceries? haha

Although he generalizes on everything from clothing to supermarket to car shopping, I agree with him for the most part, and I really like how he acknowledges that even in his generalizations, they do not apply to all men or all women.

"This is changing as the percentage of female- headed households rises, but it still holds." 191
Perfect example of how great of a generalizer he is.

"woman ...with... female companion: 8 minutes, 15 seconds
woman with children: 7 minutes, 19 seconds
woman alone: 5 minutes, 2 seconds
woman with man: 4 minutes, 41 seconds"
It makes sence, the more people there are to talk about product with the more time in the store, and obviously a woman can talk to herself more than she can to a man whos not interested.. hahaha. (Lol i didn't even read what was after that and it explained it exatly!!)

Talking about the beer tasting (pg 194) not even focused on selling more beer but on making the supermarket more male dominated, and in doing so adding to the sales of all the other junk guys buy, is a good way of looking at. I work at Costco, and I never saw the samples that way before, but it would work in Costco just the same as any plain supermarket, and i bet that is the reason for samples.

" A man in the kitchen is sexy" pg 195. I agree.

True that world is becoming more appealing to men because men are now taking the roles more often as the shoppers due to the stretch in singleness (pg 195, last para, and 1st para on 196)
Also restated on pg 197 and 198.

"The whole baby category needs to be reinvented."199
Hahaha.. taking it a little to far there buddy. Guys at my church look just fine carring there plain baby bags.

No comments: