Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What are homosexuals for?

Sullivan's answer to the question in his title is that in his opinion, homosexuals are created to test the waters. To be free souls, to experience what they desire, to make our world a better place with their style, and ability to make our world more artsy.
I don't agree.

I do however agree with Sullivan when he says that "The abandonment of intimacy and the rejection of one's emotional core are, I have come to believe, alloyed evils." (381, 1st para) This statement is made referring to gays and how they deny their feelings to be accepted and also distance themselves because they do not neccesarily know how to be close with straight people, and how in doing those things creates a horrible outcome.

"All to often, they preserve the persona at the expense of the person."(381, 1st para)

I do not believe that same sex couples are correct as a Christian. God made male and females for each other, not male for male and female for female. Look at our body parts. But as a heterosexual, i can not imagine the feelings, curiosity and the sadness a homosexual experiences when they go through the "I'm not normal" phase, (assuming every homosexual does). The way homosexuality works into God's plan is that technically all homosexual and heterosexual alike are born into a sinful nature. God allows sin because he did not make us robots, and force us to love, obey or worship him. In saying that, no bodies nature is exactly the same, and each individual person has different temptations. Homosexuality is a sin and temptation just as lust is, no matter if you are straight or gay, the lust for another individual is just that, a sin (lust and liking someone are way different). I have about 4 guy friends who are gay, and really only one has explained to me his feelings about other guys. He is a christian too, and so are the other 3 actually.

blah blah... Just like any sin or temptation, I and all Christians would go to God with it, or try to handle it on our own and realize we are powerless. but a longing to be with a girl for me would just mean that God allowed me to struggle with this in order to overcome it and glorify him and develop me into someone he had intended me to be. Everyone was created for a different purpose, and the different temptations we go through and overcome develop us for that purpose.

"I wondered which was a deeper feeling: the sense of excruciating pain seeing a member of my acquired family die, or the excruciating joy of seeing a member of my given family born."

Sullivan states that our society has become more and more accepting to diversity. I totally agree. At my high school, it seemed like every year, more and more people stepped out of the closet due to everyone else doing it. It just became more normal.

I dont get what Sullivan means when he says that "The acceptance of diversity has ... become virtually a definition of " racist" to make any substantive generalizations about a particular ethnicity, and a definition of " homophobic" to make any generalizations about homosexuals.

Interesting that he mentions that Homosexuals mainly major in and choose jobs that deal with the arts, and are more keen to looks and peoples actions when they talk.

Once I found the strength to be myself, I had no need to act myself. (Sullivan 386, end of 2nd para)
"one of the goods that homosexuals bring to society is undcubtedly a more highly developed sense of form, of style." (386 last para.)

This guy uses way too many big words!!

No comments: