Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Letters to America

Yes I do agree with Margaret Atwood that America is no longer the once seeming wonderful land that it used to be; I mean things now a days are so hard and there is so much terror here and abroad that threatens and harms citizens on a daily basis that were not present back when Atwood admired America. But I have two problems with her paper.

1- She was a kid and didn’t focus on all of the negatives back then like she would now. Like she said, we were her “ Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comics she read in the late 1940’s” (555, 2nd para). As an eighteen year old I already focus on more serious and most of the time depressing issues than I did when I was fifteen. That is only a three years difference, and for her she’s talking way back in the early fifties when she was a child. No wonder we are foreign to her, she grew up!

2- Times change, and situations call for measures that we would hope would never happen. When she wrote this 9/11 was barely in the past and that alone had caused our nation so much change. Doesn’t she get that?
“People around the world will stop admiring you” (567 para 6). I already feel like we are not that admired, but everything happens for a reason and I have faith that with trial and error our country will find a way out of it’s slump,

No comments: