Wednesday, November 28, 2007

No Name Woman

This was a very depressing story. It shows the culture of the Chinese, and shows how the Chinese Americans differ due to the ambiguity of why their culture would allow such things to be acceptable.

“’She’s pregnant’ [but] we did not discuss it” (391 para 3).
I think that is really weird that their culture could be so dishonest merely because it was unacceptable. I tried to imagine what I would do if I noticed my sister in law’s pregnant belly when it could not have been my brothers baby; I would be hesitant to say something and would be very mad, either that or I would ask suddenly why and how and if she had a good reason I would comfort her. The silence and dishonesty was definitely a cause for her suicide.

“The old women from the net field swept a broom through the air and loosened the spirits-of-the-broom over our heads.” (392 para3). How creepy to see even old women do such harm. It was probably something that was passed down generation to generation their way of going about things. But I wonder had they done this before?

The villagers “wore white masks” as the “men and woman” they “knew well” “raided” their “ house” (392 para 1). I absolutely think it is so sad the women and men they knew very well were the ones responsible for doing such a horrible thing.

No comments: