Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Tale of Two Divorces

Her sister would say “Don’t give him and argument.” She would say, “I’ll try to do better, I really will.”(206, 2nd para). I think that is so sad, the strangeness of divorce in the fifties kept people lock in the prison that was their marriage. No one should be “forced” to stay in an unhealthy relationship, even if it was society’s judgment forcing them to stay in there. They should have attended counseling!!!!
“I spend enough time with you.. I’ve already said everything I want to say.” (207, para 1).
OMGOSH!! How could she put up with that for years? I would either start becoming insane out of depression or dump him!!

“But then I found him in the coat closet with a lady and lipstick all over his face.” (207 para 1). That is disgusting, are there really fathers like that? I know there are but I don’t have any friends with fathers like that. Why did he act the way he did? What went through his mind?

“If my mother had been brave enough to go it alone I might have seen myself differently” (209 2nd para). That is a thought that I have had many times; if only my mom was a better example to me in this area I wouldn’t have this insecurity or be so mislead. Parents who are selfish do not realize the impact their actions have on their kids, and it’s a shame because so many people have a hard life because they are not emotionally prepared for many problems, like what to do when a spouse is hurting you emotionally.

“In twentieth-century America we place so much emphasis on romance that we barely notice the other essentials of marriage that include economics ad child rearing” (209 3rd para). Very true, and this relates to the thought of the Indian friend that was being interviewed by the lady in the story Shakespeare in the Bush.

No comments: